- United States President Richard Nixon has an
unprecedented state visit with Chairman Mao Zedong in Bejing.
.. Nixon takes
advantage of the Sino-Soviet split to ease decades-old American hostilities
- Offerings in popular culture include M*A*S*H, The Godfather, Don McLean's
``American Pie'' and books
...such as Watership Down. In musical theater,
Cabaret, Pippin and Grease hit the boards.
- United States President Richard Nixon makes an historic visit to the
USSR. In the Strategic Arms
.. Limitation Talks (SALT) I, Nixon and Brezhnev
negotiate reductions in their nuclear arsenals. The talks
.. mark a warming in the Cold War and usher
in the era of détente.
- Richard Leakey and Glynn Isaac find a skull in Kenya which potentially
dates the first humans to 2.5 million
.. B.C. Richard's father Louis, a famed archaeologist,
dies this year.
- Sporadic violence in Northern Ireland takes off on ``Bloody Sunday''
when 13 Roman-Catholics are shot
.. by British troops during a riot. Two months
later, Britain assumes direct control of the North Irish
.. government, dissolving the Ulster Parliament.
- Frederick Smith, age 27, founds Federal Express
with $72 million in venture capital. It carries 16
.. packages on its inaugural night, not yet
a challenge to the U.S. postal service.
- The United States resumes bombing on the North Vietnam cities Hanoi
and Haiphong, leading to
.. arguments in the Senate.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average crosses the 1000-point mark for the
first time in history.
- Three years after Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos is elected,
he declares martial law to combat
.. terrorism and a supposed Communist rebellion;
thousands are killed as the government imposes order.
- Five men are arrested inside the new Democratic National Headquarters
with surveillance equipment
.. and cameras, marking the beginning of
the Watergate Scandal that destroys Nixon's presidency.
.. Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward
and Carl Bernstein begin to investigate.
- The Senate approves the Equal Rights Amendment, guaranteeing equality
for women. The amendment
.. will not become the law of the land, however,
as it fails to be ratified by the required number of states.
- Nike, Inc. is founded by Philip H. Knight and William Bowerman, who
have been importing Japanese
.. running shoes for the past six years.
Nike becomes the world's largest sneaker company.
- Supreme Court upheld the right of abortion during the first six months