VILLANOVA STADIUM

Stadium Villanova Stadium
Villanova, PA
(Capacity: 12,500)

Philadelphia Charge
Founded 2001
Dissolved 2003
Stadium Villanova Stadium
Villanova, PA
(Capacity: 12,500)
League Women's United Soccer Association

The Philadelphia Charge was an American women's professional soccer team that played in the Women's United Soccer Association.

The team played at Villanova Stadium on the campus of Villanova University near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The team began play in 2001. The league announced on September 15, 2003, it was suspending operations.

 

Villanova Stadium is a stadium located on the campus of Villanova University outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.


Villanova Stadium was originally built in 1927 and dedicated on October 8, 1927, Villanova Stadium plays host to a wide variety of events including serving as home to the Villanova Wildcats football, field hockey, lacrosse, and track and field teams. Philadelphia area teams such as the WUSA's Philadelphia Charge and Major League Lacrosse's Philadelphia Barrage have also used the stadium in the past or currently. In the 1960s Monsignor Bonner High School, like Villanova an Augustinian school, used the field.

The field and track at Villanova Stadium are known as "Goodreau Field" and "Jumbo Elliott Track," respectively. On May 7, 1930, the playing field at Villanova Stadium was dedicated to the memory of Leo J. Goodreau, a Villanova football player who died due to injuries incurred in practice. On September 27, 1980, the running track was dedicated to Villanova's legendary track and field coach James "Jumbo" Elliott.

In Fall 1999, the Stadium underwent a face-lift with the Stadium Renovation Project. Included in this project was a state of the art press box, in addition to housing an 80-person meeting room for all Villanova Athletic Department personnel to use. The former AstroTurf playing field was replaced during the spring of 2002 with a synthetic grass surface known as AstroPlay. The stadium seats 12,500.